Belle Plaine, Iowa
April 16, 2012
The regular meeting of the Belle Plaine City Council met on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 p.m. in the city council chambers with Mayor Dave Fish presiding. Present: Garrison Reekers, Mary Pech, James Kurovski. Also present: City Attorney Jennifer Zahradnik and City Administrator Bill Daily. Absent: April Saunders and Marv DeRycke.
Roll call was held.
Motion by Reekers to approve the Consent Agenda consisting of the April 2nd council minutes, bills @ $338,063.64 & the receiving/filing of minutes from the Community Center-February 29th and Park Board-April 9th, second by Pech. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
Residents Comments: Jeanne Duffy, presented a petition to the Council. The petition stated the residents wished for the council to “revoke their veto for a spring trash pickup, thus approving this project”. Petition accepted and filed.
Motion by Kurovski to approve Resolution #12-4-3 of Necessity for an unpaid clean-up bill, second by Reekers. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
Xavier & Lelia Bray, 832 12th Street, asked if they could keep their pit bull mix for another month until they are able to move. Council listened and denied the request.
Motion by Kurovski to approve the renewal of Class E liquor, Class B wine, Class C beer & Sunday sales permits for Zip Mart, second by Reekers. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
Motion by Kurovski to approve the renewal of Class C liquor, outdoor service & Sunday sales permits for Grand Central Station, second by Pech. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
Belle Plaine Community Development Report: Eldon Zumbach was not present but had prepared a written report for the Council.
Police Chief Kris Hudson gave the monthly police department report.
Motion by Pech to set May 7th at 5:00 p.m. as the date/time for the next Committee of the Whole meeting, second by Kurovski. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
City Administrator’s Reports:
- Bill said the Downtown Revitalization Project is moving ahead and winding down.
- A Main Street Iowa Awards Celebration will be held May 4th (4:30 pm) in Des Moines. Belle Plaine will be up for some awards and asked for anyone that would like to attend, to let him know.
- The Walldogs will start painting in Belle Plaine June 1st. 5 artists will be painting this year.
- Bill said he had been informed that the city’s health insurance will be going up 30.4% for the 2012-2013 year.
- The city will start flushing hydrants on April 23rd. Residents should note that they could experience rusty water for a while.
Residents Comments: Jean Vopelka, 1403 8th Avenue asked about the walldogs painting a logo on the side of the Lincoln Café. She also commented on the clean-up day petition.
Old Business: None
Motion by Kurovski to adjourn the meeting, second by Pech. On roll call all voted aye. Meeting adjourned at 6:44 p.m.
Dave Fish, Mayor
Attest:___________________________Kaye Buch, MMC
Category: Council Minutes