Belle Plaine, Iowa
June 3, 2013
The regular meeting of the Belle Plaine City Council met on June 3, 2013 city hall council chambers with Mayor Dave Fish presiding. Present: Mary Pech, James Kurovski, Marv DeRycke, April McIntire. Also present Assistant City Attorney Jim Ries and City Administrator Bill Daily. Absent: Garrison Reekers.
Motion by Kurovski to approve the amended agenda consisting of the May 20th council minutes, bills $23,513.73 & the receiving/filing of minutes from the Library Board-April 23rd, Airport Commission – May 6th & the Committee of the Whole – May 20th, second by DeRycke. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
Residents Comments: None
Mayor Fish opened the Public Hearing at 6:00 p.m. for the Delinquent Dog & Cat Licensing: Council was handed a list of the delinquent owners. Discussion was held. Motion by Pech to notify the owners on the delinquent list that they have until Friday at 5:00 pm to pay for the licenses. If not paid by that time, citations will be issued, second by DeRycke. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried. Public Hearing closed.
Bill Mall, owner of HairVana 805 12th Street, was present to ask the Council what is going to happen to the building located at 807 12th Street. The back wall has collapsed on the 807 building. City Administrator replied that he has requested a cost estimate to fix the roof and the rear wall. City Administrator Bill Daily said it is very important to stabilize the building now. Council agreed that demolishing the building was not the answer to this problem. Council felt the building should be more secure than it is right now and instructed the City Administrator to look into this. This topic will be placed on the next Committee of the Whole on June 17th.
Motion by McIntire to approve Resolution #13-6-1 to Authorize the Intent to Spray for Mosquitos, second by Kurovski. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried. This announcement will be placed on the Nixle alert. Anyone wishing to be contacted by the company before the spraying is encouraged to contact City Hall before June 20th.
Motion by DeRycke to approve the Class C Liquor & Sunday Sales permits for the Office Tap pending the proper paperwork, second by Kurovski. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
City Administrator’s Reports:
- 1. Bill said the grant for the Well Field Electrical Project has been submitted to the US Dept of Agriculture and is being reviewed at this time. 2 of the city’s wells have recovered from the drought and therefore the water restriction is lifted. Bill encourages everyone to be careful with water usage, because 3 wells are still in jeopardy.
- 2. There will be a Waste/Recycling (Johnson County Refuse) Public Information Meeting held Thursday, June 6th, 7:00 p.m. @ Community Center.
- 3. Iowa Hotel Update: Still waiting to hear more concerning the Iowa Hotel. Assistant City Attorney Ries said it might be August – September before the city can request a hearing.
- 4. Bids for the Airport Runway Lighting Project will be opened on Tuesday, June 11th, 2:00 p.m. @ City Hall.
- 5. A Preconstruction Meeting was held at City Hall last week with the contractor & some subcontractors for the Downtown Stormwater Drainage Improvement Project.
- 6. Motion by Kurovski to allow City Administrator Bill Daily to attend the Iowa City Managers Association Summer Conference July 17-19 in Bettendorf, second by DeRycke. On roll call all voted aye. Motion carried.
Residents Comments: None
Old Business: Mayor Fish stated he had called the Vinton Mayor to talk about the recent proposed Social Host Ordinance.
Motion by McIntire to adjourn the meeting, second by Kurovski. On roll call all voted aye. Meeting adjourned at 6:56 p.m.
Dave Fish, Mayor
Kaye Buch, MMC
Category: Council Minutes